Parents Guide to Drivers Ed in Texas
While it can seem like a potentially daunting task, Texas parent-taught drivers education (PTDE) can actually be one of the most rewarding experiences you have with your teenager. To give you some insight, we’ve compiled all the information you need about the Texas parent-taught drivers ed process and licensing for your teen.
What Is Parent-Taught Texas Drivers Education?
The Texas PTDE course is an opportunity provided by the state for you to act as your teen's classroom and behind-the-wheel instructor for their Texas drivers education curriculum. There are many benefits to the PTDE program for both parent and teen:
- You can monitor your child's progress closely.
- Your teen can learn in a comfortable and stress-free environment.
- Your teen will study at their own pace, accommodating their specific learning needs.
- You can ensure that requirements are met and rules are followed.
- You know that your teen has a loving and nurturing teacher who puts their safety and security first.
Requirements for Texas Parent Driving Instructors
In order to participate in the Texas parent-taught drivers ed program, you must be a parent, grandparent, or other legal guardian of your teen. The state also requires that you:
- Have held a valid Texas driver license for at least the past 3 years without any suspensions or revocations
- Have 6 or fewer points on your driving record
- Have never committed a felony driving violation, such as DWI or negligent homicide
If you have just moved to the state of Texas, you'll need to provide a copy of your driving record from your previous state of residence to confirm your eligibility.
Before You Begin...
You must apply for a parent-taught drivers education packet from the DPS (you will also be prompted to do so after course registration). You'll need to send in a PTDE application, along with a $20 fee. Once you've received this packet, you may begin instructing your child.
I Drive Safely’s Parent-Teen Driving Contract
Once your teen gets his or her license, the excitement of his or her newfound freedom can hardly be contained. Your teen will look for any excuse to get on the road, but is he or she totally ready to have that responsibility? Are you totally ready for your teen to have that responsibility?
Having a parent-teen driving contract ensures that there are no misunderstandings and no bending the rules. A well-defined contract spells out the rules and expectations for both the parent and teen—and makes the consequences for breaking those rules clear.
We encourage you to download our editable parent-teen contract and tailor it to your specific needs. That way there's no argument when rules are broken—and both you and your teen driver can feel more at ease.
We’re Always Here for You
We're here to help you every step of the way. Our customer support team is available 24/7 to answer any questions you may have.
Call us at 800-990-2814. TDD for the hearing impaired: 800.735.2929
Or, you can email us at email@example.com