How It Works – Defensive Driving in New York
Whether you’re taking I Drive Safely's Point and Insurance Reduction Program (PIRP) course to reduce points from your driving record or to receive a mandatory 10% discount on your insurance for 3 years, we’ve got you covered on the exact steps needed. We’ve created a guide for each circumstance that details every step you’ll have to take to ensure success.
How to Reduce Points From Your Driving Record
- Receive notification from the DMV of your eligibility in the PIRP program.
Typically, the DMV will send you notice of eligibility for the PIRP program.
- Enroll in and complete your New York PIRP online course.
I Drive Safely will automatically report your course completion to the DMV, so you don’t have to worry about any paperwork. Please note that New York state law mandates that you finish your PIRP course within 30 days.
- Check your driving record and verify that you’ve received credit for your course.
Your traffic conviction and your point total will still be visible on your record for up to 4 years. Once your PIRP course has been applied, the DMV will not count up to 4 points toward any license revocation or suspension.
How to Earn a Discount on Your Monthly Insurance Rates
- Check with your insurance provider for eligibility.
Though the insurance discount is mandatory for anyone who completes a PIRP course, there may be extenuating factors in your driving history that might prevent you from qualifying. Contact your insurance provider and double check that you’re good to go.
- Enroll in and complete your New York PIRP course online.
- Send your certificate of completion to your insurance company to receive your mandatory 10% discount.
Make sure you submit your completion certificate within 90 days of finishing the course.
- If you meet the 90-day submission deadline, your discount should go into effect immediately and be retroactive to the date you finished the course.
- If you submit your completion after 90 days, your discount may be applied from the date you submitted your certificate.
Check with your insurance company for full details.
- Enjoy your reduced insurance rate.