There are often a lot of records set on Super Bowl Sunday. For instance, it’s the second-largest day in the U.S. for food consumption (after Thanksgiving), the most-watched American television broadcast of the year and the most watched sporting event in the world. But it is also one of the deadliest times to be on the road, second only to New Year’s Day, for drunk driving fatalities.
If you are hosting a Super Bowl party this year, you should know that part of showing guests a great time is making sure they get home safely. Use these tips to help throw a party that sails into the end zone:
- Plan activities. Planned activities like party games, door prize drawings or amateur fortune-telling engage people, make for less active consumption of alcohol and ensure that your friends remember the great event long after the last touchdown was thrown.
- Avoid mixers. Mixers won’t help dilute alcohol. Carbonated mixers like club soda or tonic water cause alcohol to be absorbed into a person’s system more quickly. Fruit juice and other sweet mixers mask the taste of alcohol and may cause people to drink more.
- Designate sober drivers. As guests RSVP, confirm that at least one person in each group is prepared to be the non-drinking designated driver.
- Provide plenty of food. Food helps prevent guests from drinking on an empty stomach, which causes guests to get intoxicated faster.
- Avoid too many salty snacks. They tend to make people thirsty and drink more.
- Offer non-alcoholic beverages. Give beverage options that don’t involve alcohol to designated drivers and others who prefer not to drink alcohol.
- Respect 21. Never serve alcohol to someone under the legal drinking age and never ask children to serve alcohol at parties.
- Be ready to step in. Despite your efforts, if some of your guests have had too much to drink, drive them home, arrange for a ride with another guest who is sober, call a taxi or invite them to stay over.
No matter how you celebrate or who you cheer for, don’t ruin the day with a DUI or drunk driving crash. If you plan to drink alcohol, remember to designate a sober driver to get everyone home safe after the game.