How to Take Traffic School Online in Colorado
The state of Colorado will automatically reduce points associated with a traffic ticket if you admit guilt and pay your traffic ticket on time, but that violation will remain on your record, leading to your insurance rates potentially going up. However, with the court’s permission you may be able to dismiss your traffic violation by completing a traffic school course, such as I Drive Safely’s Online Traffic School.
Whether you’re trying to dismiss a traffic violation or receive a potential auto insurance discount, we’ve compiled the detailed processes here for you to reference when the time comes.
How to Dismiss Your Traffic Ticket
- Contact your court and ask permission to attend Colorado traffic school.
On an individual basis, your court or judge may refer you to complete a traffic school in lieu of having a violation remain on your driving history. To do so, you may either:
- Appear at the date specified on your citation.
- Contact your court and ask about eligibility requirements and permission to dismiss a ticket.
Your court will specify whether your citation and driving history make you eligible for ticket dismissal.
- Enroll in and complete your I Drive Safely traffic school course.
Your court will likely give you a deadline by which you must submit your course completion to them, so make sure you give yourself plenty of time to work through your course.
- Submit your completion certificate to your court.
I Drive Safely will send you a certificate of completion via the shipping method you chose when you registered. Standard mail takes 5-7 business days to arrive, so keep this in mind as you calculate when you’ll need to deliver your completion to the court.
- Check your driving record.
It’s a good idea to follow up by checking your driving record. Your violation should not appear on your driving history.
How to Get a Reduction on Your Auto Insurance
- Contact your insurance provider and ask for discount details.
Each provider differs, but generally you will be eligible if you have a history of safe driving, and you have not taken an insurance discount course within the last year. Inquire about their discount rate, and how long the reduction would be in effect.
- Enroll in and complete your Colorado traffic school course.
- Submit your certificate of completion to your insurance company.
After we send your completion certificate to your home, you may then deliver it to your insurance provider by whichever method you choose – fax, mail, or in person.
- Enjoy your reduced insurance rate!