Documents Required for Texas Adult Drivers License
You will need documents from each of the following groups in order to apply for a Texas driver license.
Form of Identification
You will need to present proof of identity. The DPS categorizes these types of documents into primary, secondary, and supporting identity documents.
Primary Identity Documents
If you supply one primary document, you will not need to provide any other documentation. Examples of primary documents include:
- Texas driver license or Texas ID card that is not expired more than two years
- Unexpired U.S. passport
- U.S. certificate of citizenship
Secondary Identity Documents
If you do not have a primary document, you may provide two secondary documents. These could be:
- Original or certified copy of a birth certificate
- Certificate of report of birth
- Original or certified copy of a court order with your name and date of birth indicating a name and/or gender change
Supporting Identity Documents
If you do not have one primary document or two secondary documents, you may present one secondary document and two supporting documents, including:
- Social Security card
- Form W-2 or 1099
- Driver license or identification card issued by another U.S. state
Social Security Number Verification
When applying for your license, you will also need to provide your Social Security card or another acceptable form of documentation, such as:
- Military ID
- Health insurance card
- Certified college/university transcript
U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Presence Status
To prove your U.S. citizenship or lawful presence status, you may provide one of the following:
- For U.S. citizens: U.S. passport, birth certificate issued by a U.S. state, territory, or District of Columbia, etc.
- For U.S. nationals, lawful permanent residents, refugees or asylees: Permanent resident card, foreign passport with attached temporary I-551, etc.
- For temporary visitors: A document/combination of documents issued by the U.S. Department of Justice, U.S. Department of State, U.S. Department of Homeland Security, or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services that proves lawful temporary admission to the United States.
Proof of Texas Residency
You also must verify your Texas residency. You must provide two acceptable documents, which could include:
- Valid and unexpired Texas voter registration card
- Utility statement dated within 90 days of the application date
- Current deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, etc.
This may be a lot to keep track of, but it’s all necessary to get your Texas driver license. The good news is you can work toward your Texas driver license online. That’s right, with adult drivers ed in Texas, you can be on your way toward that license without ever leaving home.