Renewing Your Colorado DMV Drivers License
It might not seem like a big deal if your Colorado drivers license has expired – but think again. Driving with an expired license is illegal, and if you get pulled over by an officer for any infraction, you’ll only add to your woes. Don’t take that chance – it’s best to renew your drivers license as soon as you can, and in fact you can renew an adult Colorado drivers license at any time.
Here are the ways to renew your Colorado drivers license. Remember that if you’re under the age of 21, you won’t be able to renew your license until you turn 22.
Renew Colorado Drivers License in Person
You can renew your Colorado license in person at any Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles location. When possible, you should make an appointment. You’ll need to do the following:
- Bring your expired license or permit.
- Know your Social Security number (it’s a good idea to bring your Social Security card).
- Provide proof of your current residential address.
- Pay the Colorado license renewal fee of $21.00.
If you renew your license in person, you may also be required to pass a vision test, and you may be fingerprinted and photographed.
Renew Your Colorado Drivers License by Mail
Colorado license renewal is also available to drivers with a clear record by mail. To see if you’re eligible, you’ll need to visit the Colorado DMV’s Renew by Mail website. Once there, you’ll be able to submit your information to determine your eligibility. If you are eligible, you’ll need to print out the Colorado Renew by Mail application and mail it (along with the renewal fee) to the Department of Revenue. Keep in mind that if you wish to have your name changed or if you want a new drivers license photo, you’ll need to renew your license in person at a Colorado DMV office.
Renew Your Colorado Drivers License Online
Many drivers will able to renew their Colorado drivers license online. There are some things you’ll need to know before you do this, however:
- You can change your address on file with the DMV when you complete a renewal using this service.
- You can’t use this application to renew a commercial drivers license online.
- If you are a male between the ages of 18-25, you will automatically be registered for selective service.
- Drivers license or ID documents take up to 30 days to arrive in the mail.
Other things you’ll need to know before you renew online:
- You must have either a Visa, Mastercard, Discover, or American Express credit card.
- You must possess a valid email address.
- All transactions are subject to an administrative processing fee.
- You must meet all eligibility requirements in order to renew your drivers license or State ID online.
If you have all of the above information, you can now renew your Colorado drivers license online.