How to Take a Defensive Driving Course in South Carolina (SC)
I Drive Safely’s South Carolina online defensive driving course is approved by individual courts throughout the state to dismiss points associated with a South Carolina traffic ticket. Taken voluntarily, the course may also help you qualify for a hefty discount on your monthly insurance premiums. Check with your auto insurance provider first to make sure they offer a discount for taking a driver improvement course.
Whether you’re looking to dismiss points or reduce insurance rates, we’ve compiled a helpful guide which lists the steps you’ll need to complete in order to accomplish each of those goals. If you have further questions, our 24/7 customer support team will be able to answer them for you promptly.
How to Dismiss Points from Your Driving Record
1. Contact your court and request permission to complete our South Carolina defensive driving course.
Make sure to get in touch with them before the appearance date on your citation. If your violation requires a court appearance, you may request permission at that time. Note that the state allows point dismissal once every 3 years.
2. Enroll in and complete your I Drive Safely South Carolina online defensive driving course.
Your court may give you a deadline by which you must finish your course and submit your proof of completion. keep this in mind as you’re working through our self-paced program.
3. Submit your certificate of completion to your court.
I Drive Safely will send you a copy of your completion certificate, which you are then responsible for delivering to the court. You may usually mail, fax, or hand-deliver the certificate to your county clerk.
4. Check your driving record.
After your course completion has been processed by your court, obtain a copy of your driving record. Make sure that the points from your tickets don’t show up.
How to Get a Discount on Monthly Insurance Rates
1. Contact your insurance company for their policy on defensive driving discounts.
If your provider allows a rate reduction for completing a course, you should then inquire about:
- How much of a discount you will be receiving
- How long you can expect a reduced rate
- Whether they will allow to renew your discount in the future
2. Enroll in and complete your South Carolina defensive driving course.
3. Submit your certificate of completion to your insurance company.
After you finish your course, we’ll mail you a copy of your completion certificate. You will then take your proof of completion to your insurance agency (or mail/fax it, if they allow) and wait for them to process your discount.
4. Enjoy your reduced insurance rate.