How to Take a Defensive Driving Course in Louisiana
The state of Louisiana does not utilize a point system, but traffic violations do appear on your Louisiana driving record and can cause your insurance rates to rise. Individual courts throughout the state may approve a driver improvement course as an alternative to this measure – that’s where I Drive Safely comes in!
To make things easy for you, we’ve outlined the ticket dismissal process in detail below. For those voluntarily taking our Louisiana defensive driving online course, we’ve also detailed a helpful guide to reducing your insurance rate as well.
How to Dismiss a Traffic Violation from Your Driving Record
- Appear at or contact your court and request permission to dismiss your ticket with a defensive driving course.Not all courts offer this option, so make sure you contact yours by the date specified on your citation, and confirm their approval of a driver improvement course for ticket dismissal. Participation will hinge upon your past driving history, the severity of your violation, and any defensive driving courses you may have already taken.You must meet the following general eligibility requirements:
- You must have been cited for a minor, non-criminal moving violation
- You must hold a valid, non-commercial Louisiana driver’s license
- Enroll in and complete your I Drive Safely Louisiana Defensive Driving course.If your court gives you a deadline by which you must submit your course completion, make sure you enroll in and finish your course in enough time for us to send your completion certificate before your due date.
- Submit your certificate of completion to the court. I Drive Safely offers email delivery.
- Check your driving record.After giving the court time to process your Louisiana defensive driving course, check your driving record to ensure that the violation has been removed.
How to Get a Discount on Your Car Insurance
- Contact your insurance provider and ask about their policy on defensive driving discounts.Most providers will reward their policyholders for being safer drivers, and will offer some sort of discount for taking a defensive driving course. Be sure to ask about the discount rate, and the length of time it would remain valid.
- Enroll in and complete your I Drive Safely Louisiana Defensive Driving course.
- Submit your completion certificate to your insurance company.We’ll send your proof of course completion right to your door, which you may then take to your insurance agent for them to process. They’ll let you know when you can expect your newly-reduced rate to go into effect.
- Enjoy your reduced insurance rate!