How it Works – Defensive Driving in Tennessee
In Tennessee, a judge can grant you permission to have your entire traffic citation dismissed by taking a traffic school course – the violation won’t hit your driving record, you won’t receive any points, and you won’t have to pay the associated fines. You may also take a traffic school course voluntarily to earn an insurance discount if your provider offers one.
Whether you’re looking to dismiss a violation or save money on insurance, I Drive Safely is here with the information you need. We’ve done the research for you and put together lists of all the steps required to meet your goals. With us, you’ve got the path to success laid out in front of you.
How to Dismiss a Traffic Ticket
1. Contact your court and request permission to complete a Tennessee traffic school course.
There will be a date on your citation by which you must contact the court. When you do so, you will need to provide the following:
- Your traffic ticket number
- The date of your citation
- Your appearance date
- The listed violation charge
The court will determine whether you are eligible for ticket dismissal or required to appear before a judge for further evaluation. If and when permission is granted to take a traffic school course, you may then sign up for our online Tennessee course.
2. Enroll in and complete your I Drive Safely Tennessee traffic school.
Your court or judge will most likely give you a deadline by which you must finish your course and submit your completion certificate. I Drive Safely will send you this certificate within 1 business day of course completion via the shipping option you choose.
3. Submit your certificate of completion to your court.
Your court can specify whether they’d like the certificate mailed, faxed, or hand-delivered to the county branch. Make sure to ask for this information before performing any of these actions.
4. Check your driving record.
Your court will process your ticket dismissal, after which you should check your driving record to make sure no violation or points have been assessed. It’s always a good idea to be vigilant and proactive when it comes to maintaining an accurate driving history!
How to Earn an Auto Insurance Discount
1. Contact your insurance company for information on earning a discount through traffic school.
Most providers will offer a rate reduction of up to 10% to drivers who voluntarily complete a Tennessee traffic school course. When discussing your options, make sure to ask:
- What your reduction rate will be
- Whether you can renew your discount
- How long your discount will be valid
2. Enroll in and complete I Drive Safely’s Tennessee traffic school.
3. Submit your certificate of completion to your insurance company.
We’ll mail your proof of completion right to your door, so you can bring it to your insurance agent for them to process. Be sure to ask them when your discount will be applied!
4. Enjoy your reduced insurance rate!