What You Need to Know about Delaware Drivers Ed
If you are under the age of 18 in Delaware, you must complete a driver education course in order to get your drivers license. The driver training process in Delaware consists of a minimum of 44 hours of instruction. 30 of these hours must be classroom instruction, 7 hours must be in-car observation, and 7 must be in-car/behind-the-wheel instruction.
Delaware Course Overview
The drivers ed online course offered by I Drive Safely is intended to help you gain extra skills and driving knowledge. We want you to feel completely ready to get on the road safely. The course consists of individual chapters, each with a multiple-choice quiz at the end. Each quiz has 10 questions, and you are required to score at least 80% on each quiz to move on to the next chapter.
Drivers Ed Course Final Exam
When you reach the end of your Delaware driver education course, you will take a 50-question final exam. It is made up of multiple-choice questions, and you must get an 80% score at minimum to pass. Upon successful completion of your course, a certificate of completion will be sent out to you. You have your choice of a variety of shipping options to have your certificate delivered.
Delaware Learners Permit Requirements
In order to get a Level One learners permit in Delaware, teens must meet certain eligibility requirements. These requirements include visiting the DMV and doing the following:
- You must be at least 16 but younger than 18.
- You must provide a Delaware driver education certificate (blue certificate) to prove that you successfully completed a driver education course.
- If you are a minor, you must have a driver license application that is signed by a sponsor. A sponsor can be any of the following:
- Either the father or mother of the minor, if both are living together within the state of Delaware and the minor resides with them, or
- Father of the minor, if he lives within the state and the minor resides with only the father; or the mother of the minor, if she lives within the state and the minor resides with only the mother. If the minor resides with neither parent and has no legal guardian in the state, then either the father or mother may be the sponsor, or
- Legal guardian or court-appointed custodian of the minor, or
- Any person deemed acceptable by the Secretary of Transportation or the Chief of Driver Services.
- You must present documentation that proves your name, date of birth, Social Security number, and Delaware residency (you must have two proofs of residency, unless your sponsor is a licensed Delaware driver who lives at the same address as you).
- You must pay the required license fee.
- You must pass an eye screen.
How to Earn Your Delaware Class D Operators License
To be eligible for a Delaware drivers license, or Class D operators license, the following must be true:
- You are at least 17 but younger than 18.
- You have held a Level One learners permit (Delaware instructional permit) for a minimum of 1 year (12 months).
- Your sponsor has not withdrawn his/her endorsement.
- Your driving privileges are not suspended/revoked/denied/surrendered/canceled.
Your Level One permit will automatically become a Class D license once you have completed a full 12 months of valid driving authority (meaning 12 months during which your license was not suspended, revoked, etc.).
Why Choose I Drive Safely?
As a top provider in the online driver education arena, we know what it takes to give our customers a quality course and an experience they'll enjoy. Our online Delaware drivers ed course will teach you everything you need to know about driving before you get on the road. Plus, our online format makes learning easy, effective, and fun. Study from the location of your choice–all you need is an Internet connection! Just a few of the other benefits of taking an I Drive Safely driver education course are:
- You get to set your own pace. Instead of sitting in a classroom all day, you get to space out your study time.
- You decide when you want to study. No longer do you have to work around a set schedule.
- Fun features like videos, animations, and graphics enhance your learning experience. You'll remember the information so you're prepared to get out on the road.
Your Delaware driver education course will give you the confidence to be the best driver you can be. Sign up today!