Renewing Your North Carolina DMV Drivers License
There are several steps you’ll need to follow in order to renew your driver license. It’s important that you don’t ignore your license expiration. Luckily, the North Carolina DMV reminds drivers when they must renew. You should receive a reminder card in the mail (note that you don’t need to wait until you get this card to renew your license).
What Do I Need to Bring to the DMV?
Before you head to the DMV, you’ll need to gather the proper documents. You will need:
Proof of Identity
If you don’t have your current or expired license when it’s time to renew, you’ll need to bring 2 documents from the following list to prove your identity. The documents must show your full name and your birth date.
- Birth Certificate
- Social Security card
- Tax forms (W-2 or 1099)
- Your North Carolina Motor Vehicle Record
- School documents (like school transcripts, high school diploma, etc.)
- U.S. military ID
- Valid, unexpired passport
- Certified marriage certificate
- North Carolina Limited Driving Privilege
- U.S. government documents
- Court documents such as adoption papers
Proof of Social Security Number
If your Social Security number is not on file with the North Carolina DMV, you must bring your Social Security card or proof of your Social Security number. You can prove your SSN with one of these documents:
- 1099 form or W-2 form
- Payroll record
- DD-214 form
- Military Record that has your Social Security number
- Social Security document that has your Social Security number
- Medicaid/Medicare card that has your Social Security number
What Do I Need to Do at the DMV?
At the DMV, you will need to pass some tests and pay certain fees in order to renew your North Carolina driver license.
- Vision test: You will need to pass a vision test, so if you wear glasses or contacts, be sure to wear them to the DMV.
- Sign test: You will need to be able to recognize traffic signs and what they mean. Study Chapter 5 of the North Carolina Drivers Handbook before taking the test.
- Driving skills road test (this may or may not be required): This is a behind-the-wheel test that proves you have the necessary skills to be a safe driver.
To pay your fees, you will need to use cash, money order, or a personal check.
Can I Renew By Mail?
You must be eligible for your North Carolina license renewal through the mail. The renewed license will be temporary. To be eligible you must be either:
- Residing outside of North Carolina temporarily (for 30 days or more), or
- On active duty in the armed forces and stationed outside of North Carolina
You can contact the DMV for more information on renewal by mail.