If you have either lost your Illinois drivers license or had it stolen, it’s important to get a replacement as soon as possible. It’s illegal to drive a vehicle in Illinois without a valid license or permit, and if you are found driving without one your driving privileges may be affected.
How and When to Apply for a Replacement Illinois Drivers License
As soon as you realize your ID or Illinois drivers license are missing, you should contact your local police department and report it. This is an important step in fighting potential identity fraud or theft. You must then visit an Illinois Driver Services Facility in order get a duplicate license issued to you. It is important that you bring the acceptable identification and the possible replacement fee.
- Duplicate Drivers License $5
- Duplicate Drivers License (stolen with police report) FREE
- Duplicate Drivers License (military & military spouse) FREE
- Duplicate Drivers License for drivers 60 and over FREE
Proof of Identity
When you are applying for a duplicate drivers license at the Driver Services Facility, you will need to provide the appropriate identification. You will need identification that shows:
- Written Signature (such as government ID, passport, Social Security Card)
- Date of Birth (such as birth certificate)
- Social Security Number (Social Security Card)
- Residency (such as bank statement, insurance policy)
What If You’re Out of State or Country?
If you happen to be out of the state of Illinois when you lose your drivers license it’s important that you call the License and Medical Review Section at (217) 782-2720 as soon as possible. The License and Medical Review Section will give you information on receiving a temporary license and/or how to apply to get a duplicate license sent to your out-of-state address. You also may request a temporary drivers license and/or an application for a duplicate drivers license by e-mailing the Secretary of State’s office with your full name, date of birth, Illinois drivers license number and out-of-state address.