How to Take an Online Defensive Driving Course in New Mexico
In New Mexico, you may attend a defensive driving course for ticket dismissal associated with a traffic ticket, or to fulfill a court order if your license is suspended. Additionally, our New Mexico defensive driving course may also be taken voluntarily to earn a discount on your monthly auto insurance rates.
The process for each distinct reason can be unique, so we’ve compiled a comprehensive guide for each to make things as convenient and clear as possible for you. If you have any further questions, our customer support team is available 7 days a week.
How to Dismiss a Traffic Ticket
1. Contact your court and request permission to attend a defensive driving course.
On an individual basis, a judge may grant you the option to attend a driver improvement course in lieu of a violation conviction. Contact your court by phone or in person before the date listed on your ticket, and inquire as to whether you are eligible for ticket dismissal through a defensive driving program.
2. Enroll in and complete your I Drive Safely New Mexico Court-Referred Defensive Driving course.
Your court may or may not give you a time frame within which you must register for and complete your course. Make sure to verify this information before you begin studying so you don’t miss any deadlines! (Although our course is entirely self-paced without any time frame to follow, your court may not be as lenient as we are.)
3. Submit your certificate of completion to your court.
We will send you a copy of your completion certificate, which you must then take to your court to provide proof of course completion. The court will process your ticket and point dismissal.
4. Check your driving record.
It’s always a good idea to follow up on your citation to be sure that it has been dismissed from your driving record.
How to Earn a Discount on Your Monthly Insurance Rates
1. Contact your insurance provider for discount details and eligibility requirements.
Ask whether your insurance company offers a safe driving discount for completing a defensive driving course. If so, make sure to verify:
- What your rate reduction will be
- How long it will be in place
- Whether you have the option for renewal
- When it will go into effect
2. Enroll in and complete your New Mexico Defensive Driving course.
3. Submit your certificate of completion to your insurance company.
We will send you a completion certificate which you can mail, fax, or hand-deliver to your insurance agent.
4. Enjoy your reduced insurance rate!