How It Works
Recently got some points thrown on your driver record? No problem! Our online Indiana Driver Safety Program can help by giving you a 4-point credit once complete.
Looking to receive an insurance discount by taking the DSP, we’ve got you covered there, too!
- Enrolling in the Indiana DSP CourseIf taking the course to reduce points on your driver record or if required by the BMV: The BMV will notify you via mail if a DSP course must be taken due to traffic violations. Common instances where the DSP course is required are:
- If you’ve been convicted of two or more traffic offenses within a 12-month period
- If you’re at risk of license suspension
- If you are under 21 and have been involved in two or more accidents
If taking the course voluntarily to be proactive, you may sign up at anytime and the BMV will be notified to have the 4-point credit added to your record.
- Finish the course on-time The BMV will allow you 90 days to complete your DSP course from the date on your mailed notification. Once you’ve completed our course, we will send over confirmation to the BMV within 24 hours.
If you do not finish the course prior to the 90 days, your license will be put on a suspension until the BMV receives confirmation that your course has been completed.
- Check Your Driver RecordOnce you’ve completed the DSP course, it will take between 7-to-10 days for the points to be removed from your driver record.
There are two ways you can check your driver record:
- You can view an un-printable free driver record online through the Indiana BMV website. This record will include your drivers license status and provide citation and suspension information, as well as any outstanding requirements you may have.
- Order an Official Driver Record transcript. This electronic record may be printed and can be used by individuals, courts, state agencies, and employers. You can order your official record by clicking here.
How to get an insurance discount
- Contact your agencyEach provider has different eligibility rules and requirements. Call your agent to make sure you qualify for a reduction in insurance rates.
- Enroll in and complete your Indiana DSP Course. Be sure to save or print the completed certificate upon completion.
- Send your Proof of Completion to your insurance company.After we deliver your proof of completion, you can immediately take it to your insurance agent and have them process your rate reduction on the spot.