We’ve all heard about rules and regulations that just don’t make any sense. Some may have merit, and others are a little unusual, but many of these traffic laws will absolutely blow your mind. Here in the States we’re lucky. No, we’re not immune to nonsensical rulemaking, but at least if we get caught doing one of the infractions below, we’re able to dismiss the ticket with a Traffic School or Defensive Driving Course. So let’s check out some of the crazy rules of the road that are right here in our back yard.
- In Alabama it’s illegal to drive while wearing a blindfold.
- Birds have the right of way on any public highway in Utah.
- It’s against the law to drive a black car on Sundays in Denver, CO.
- California law says it’s illegal to shoot wild game from a moving vehicle unless it’s a whale…then it’s okay. That’s just plain silly, poor Willy!
- It’s illegal to spit from a moving car or bus in Marietta, GA, but it’s legal to spit from trucks.
Crazy laws aren’t exclusive to the United States. Believe it or not, some parts of the world take bizarre to a whole new level!
- In Germany it’s illegal to run out of gas on the autobahns, because they see it as stopping unnecessarily. If it happens, you’re in for a hefty traffic fine.
- Get this… Luxemburg has the same blindfold law as Alabama. Go figure.
- I can’t get over the fact that Saudi Arabia women can vote but they aren’t allowed to drive? How did that law pass?
- You also can’t wash your car on Sunday in Switzerland.
- And here’s a real doozy. In Holland, if you’re caught doing double the speed limit they can confiscate your car and you won’t get it back. In fact, just last year a 20-year-old was driving his father’s car and was busted doing 160kmh in an 80kmh zone. The car that was seized was a Bugatti Veyron. Yep, that’s a 2.3 million dollar speeding ticket. Ouch!
Do you know of a bizarre traffic law you’d like to share? Please post it in the comments section below and maybe we’ll feature it next time.